Vocabulary refers to the words children must know to communicate effectively. In school terms, it can be described as oral vocabulary or reading vocabulary. This section provides information about effective vocabulary instruction, the relationship between vocabulary and comprehension, and practical ways that to introduce new, exciting words to children.
Vocabulary refers to:
* the words we must know to communicate effectively.
* Oral vocabulary refers to words that we use in speaking or recognize in listening.
* Reading vocabulary refers to words we recognize or use in print.
Vocabulary is important because:
* beginning readers use their oral vocabulary to make sense of the words they see in print.
* readers must know what most of the words mean before they can understand what they
Reading Rockets: Vocabulary